About Northbase Finance:
Northbase Finance Inc. (“Northbase” or the “Company”) is a privately held specialty finance company. We leverage capital from our financing partners to provide customized flexible financing solutions to our client base across North America. Northbase provides equipment financing for essential operating assets in the form of new equipment leases, asset sale-leasebacks, rentals, and outright asset sales.
The Company’s mission is to develop critical partnerships through trusted relationships to provide essential operating asset capital solutions.
Since its inception in January 2020, Northbase has expanded rapidly, successfully completing its Phase I growth plans despite competing against the headwinds of the COVID-19 pandemic. Northbase is well capitalized to continue its expansion and expects to achieve robust growth through 2021 and beyond.
Northbase has added multiple personnel in recent months and, along with its strategic partners, consists of highly skilled and experienced industry experts, investment professionals, and gas compression and processing specialists.
We are a small group of like-minded individuals, that is highly driven to succeed in the niche finance space.
Financial Analyst – Job Summary:
Northbase is seeking a suitable candidate to join the Company’s expanding platform and play a vital role in the continued growth and success of our business.
The Financial Analyst will be based in the Calgary office, working closely with the Vice President as well as the CEO and CFO, as required. Due to the volatility and uncertainty surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, the Financial Analyst must be able to effectively work remotely (i.e., from home) when required.
The primary responsibilities of this role will be to assist in developing and upkeeping industry related research, performing financial scenario analysis, managing, and updating the corporate model, as well as preparing presentations for the management team and investment committee.
The successful candidate will also support business development and other ad hoc initiatives, including creating and maintaining a database of potential transactable ideas, conducting counterparty due diligence as well as supporting the review of transaction documents and underwriting procedures.
The Financial Analyst will report directly to the Vice President.
Position Responsibilities & Duties:
- Perform financial scenario analysis to support the evaluation of changing business and industry economics.
- Manage and update Northbase’s corporate model, providing real-time vital updates on the Company’s financial position and covenants, capitalization, growth trajectory, and historical results.
- Develop an understanding of the driving forces behind fundamental industry dynamics (O&G, energy, power, ESG) to support the development of industry research.
- Distil information and analysis into useable, easily digestible charts, graphs, and tables.
- Review, summarize and provide timely updates on critical industry-related news flow to management.
- Assist in the preparation of presentations for delivering information and recommendations to management.
- Support business development initiatives, including creating and maintaining a database of potential transactable ideas.
- Develop an understanding of customer motivations and needs across Northbase’s operating regions and industries.
- Support the analysis and review of counterparty due diligence materials.
- Develop investment committee memos to provide recommendations and support for/against potential transactions.
- Assist in the development of new growth opportunities by identifying, evaluating, and supporting negotiations of asset acquisitions and funding.
- Lend support in the reviewing of legal documentation, including non-disclosure agreements, confidentiality agreements, term sheets and commercial agreements.
- Support the execution of underwriting procedures.
- Assist with ongoing post-acquisition integration activities, as required.
Qualifications & Skills:
As the Financial Analyst, you:
- Are a team player with a company-wide perspective.
- Are a highly motivated, self-starter.
- Can work effectively in a remote setting (from home) when required.
- Have a demonstrative ability of critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Possess robust communication, writing and interpersonal skills.
- Are detail oriented.
- Have a clear understanding of how a business operates including value creation, economic analysis, and financial performance measurement.
- Have a well-rounded understanding of and ability to research the fundamental drivers of the various industries Northbase participates in.
- Have the ability to apply quantitative analysis techniques and judgement to develop well-reasoned recommendations and communicate those recommendations effectively.
- Are able to create and maintain corporate and asset-oriented valuation models.
- May have the ability to review and understand legal documentation (NDA’s/CA’s, term sheets and commercial contracts), which would be considered an asset.
Education & Experience:
- BComm, or other relevant post-secondary education.
- CFA or equivalent considered an asset but not required.
- Previously established industry relationships would be an asset.
- 2-5+ years of relevant work experience.
- Strong Microsoft Office skills; exceedingly strong Excel skills are a must.
Salary, Vacation & Benefits:
The Financial Analyst is paid a competitive annual salary, dependent upon qualifications and experience. There is also participation in the Company bonus pool based on corporate and individual performance. Annual vacation allotment for this position is 3 weeks per annum.
Competitive benefits include:
- Life and Disability
- Medical and Dental coverage
- Health spending account
Northbase welcomes all qualified applicants to send a resume and cover letter to HR@northbasefinance.com